Keratin Straightening Fallout
Here’s what they won’t tell you
We were re-stocking our Keratin Complex Hair Straightening formula yesterday. This stuff is like liquid gold. I asked my rock star hair husband if there were any less expensive products that produce the same results? I got the ‘Greg’ look. While not averse to saving money, cheaper products produce cheaper results. We expose our clients to new products cautiously and it is only through careful testing and cycles of client appointments that can study the results. Keep in mind, the owner’s wife is always the first client tested unless the product simply doesn’t apply to my hair.
Here’s what they won’t tell you. Less experienced stylists use systems we have already tested and rejected. Price is usually a factor. I asked Greg, as person in the chair, is there a way to tell what system your stylist is using on you? The best answer is no. There is no way to tell. But I was able to write down his best tips before he hurried out the door.
- Ask to see the product bottle. If it says ‘express’ anywhere on it it’s probably a six-week product. I can’t tell you how many times we’ve heard clients ask about the longevity and heard stylists claim a 3-month window on a half-life product. While the bottle is in your hands, read the ingredient list. Make sure it’s formaldehyde-free. Formaldehyde causes cancer.
- The consistency should be fairly thick like hair color cream. Stylists water it down to save money, reducing its effectiveness. High quality Keratin runs well over $100 for an 8 ounce bottle. That will do 4 average heads of hair. Note we say ‘average’. Most women needing hair straightening have thick hair, which requires more product.
- Check the clock. A normal process takes an hour and a half to two hours. Your stylist should first deep cleanse the hair with a clarifying shampoo. Then they should fully dry the hair. If your stylist skips the second step, they may be using a ‘backdoor’ way of watering down the product. They are also probably using an ‘Express’ system. Don’t let them sell it to you as a benefit. Unless that’s what you are paying for.
- Understanding the process helps. After the hair is thoroughly dry. We apply the Keratin section by section just like hair color. An even application is required. Keratin is less forgiving than hair color. Too much product and too little product both produce less effective results. We then cap it and let it process for 20 to 30 minutes.
- We then blow dry to remove excess moisture. Heat is applied next to begin the ‘thermal’ straightening process with a dedicated flat iron. Hint: ‘Express’ methods are often applied to wet hair, to make the product go farther, skipping this step and leaving the product in the hair. We then blow dry and flat iron.
Ours works up to three months often more. But we always quote the low end. We have found most of our clients have theirs done every six months with proper hair care and styling products. Follow aftercare instructions exactly. Don’t cheat. Cheating causes fallout and crimping.
The take away: If your Keratin treatment isn’t lasting as long as it should or is damaging your hair, start asking questions. Any service relationship is a process built on trust and results. Your happiness should always be guaranteed. Read our FAQ about Keratin Straightening. Consultations are always free.
Keratin Complex at GS HAIR is on Sale through Labor Day. That’s Monday, September 7th, 2015 this year. Our existing clients enjoy bundled pricing discounts. Join our blog to stay on top of ongoing specials. Stay beautiful my friends.
Greg Saumure, Owner of GS HAIR is a Master Hair Stylist and Hair Colorist with over 30 years experience. He has worked behind the chair in Sacramento as a stylist, colorist, educator and lastly owner of one of Sacramento’s Best Salons. He has launched careers of hundreds of local stylists through his rigorous training and education program. He has earned his loyal following of clients through a life-long commitment to exemplary customer service. We hope that you’ll be one of them. Read more about Greg Saumure.
Where to Find Us
GS HAIR, 2398 Fair Oaks Blvd. Ste 9, Sacramento, CA 95825. We are off Fair Oaks Blvd. and Fairgate Drive in the popular Pavillions area. Book direct with Greg (916)838-4642 iText. E-mail us at [email protected]
#gshair #vidalsassoon #sacramentosalon #sacramentosbestsalon #sacramentohair #sacramentocolor #sacramentosbeststylist #longhairspecialist #gregsaumure #ontheboulevard